Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Musical Interlude - Elliot Smith

So, we're getting ready to head into February, otherwise known as the month of luuurve, otherwise known as the greeting card and jewelry industries' heyday.  I had a crazy thought, that I would work with a theme and choose love songs for this month's worth of musical interludes. The idea quickly passed once I realized that what I consider a romantic love song is not only something that most people wouldn't classify as such, but my choices would probably spark a general concern for my mental well-being.

Let's just say that I've never really been into Valentine's Day and leave it at that.

So let's talk about Elliot Smith instead.  He was a singer-songwriter who made some wonderful acoustic guitar type music with lots of harmonies and layering. Beautiful stuff. If you know of him at all, or if his music sounds familiar to you, it's probably because you've seen the film Good Will Hunting, in which most of his music is used for the soundtrack. He was even nominated for an Oscar for his song "Miss Misery".  I re-discovered him recently in our vast music collection. (Do you ever do that, when you go so long without listening to an album that when you go back to it, it's like discovering it all over again, brand-new?)

Sadly, Elliot died at the age of 34, from an apparent suicide attempt, although the investigation was inconclusive.  After he died, fans started leaving flowers and writing notes on the wall of Solutions Audio in Hollywood, CA. The wall was painted with decorative swirls, and a picture of Elliot standing in front of the wall was used for the cover of his album Figure 8, so it became a natural unofficial gathering place for fans.  The creator of this video filmed the notes on the wall, and set it to one of my all-time favorite songs by Elliot Smith - "Between the Bars".  Watch for the triple-pun on the word "bars".  Enjoy!



Between the Bars
by Elliot Smith
drink up, baby, stay up all night
the things you could do, you won't but you might
the potential you'll be, that you'll never see
the promises you'll only make
drink up with me now and forget all about the pressure of days
do what I say and I'll make you okay and drive them away
the images stuck in your head
people you've been before that you don't want around anymore
that push and shove and won't bend to your will
I'll keep them still
drink up, baby, look at the stars
I'll kiss you again between the bars where I'm seeing you
there with your hands in the air, waiting to finally be caught
drink up one more time and I'll make you mine
keep you apart deep in my heart separate from the rest
where I like you the best and keep the things you forgot
the people you've been before that you don't want around anymore
that push and shove and won't bend to your will
I'll keep them still

No comments: