Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Musical Interlude - Florence + The Machine

Have you ever had one of those moments where you stumble across a musical act or piece of art or literature, and wonder to yourself, "Where have I been this whole time, that I'm just now finding out about this?"  Well, that's the reaction I had when I first heard Florence + The Machine.  Although, to my defense, she's a new artist, having only released one album (Lungs) in 2009. And now, you too, will be in the dark no more, as I introduce you to her fabulousness.

The "band" consists of English singer Florence Welch and various studio session musicians and guests artists providing support. It's hard to describe her musical style, but I suppose I would call it eccentric pop/rock with a little soul thrown in too.  All I know is, from the moment I heard her first song, and promptly downloaded the album, I've been unable to stop listening to it.

Two songs in particular are my favorites: "The Drumming Song" and "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)", however, I'm going to feature "Rabbit Heart" here, because of the Alice in Wonderland and fairy tale references, both in the song's lyrics and in the music video.  So far, I've identified references to: Alice in Wonderland, Greek mythology (i.e. the Three Graces, King Midas), the Bible, the Lady of Shallot, Ophelia, fairy tales, and Pre-Raphelite paintings. It reads like a list of all my favorite things!

They've disabled the video embedding feature, so just click on the image below and it will take you directly to the video on You Tube.  Be sure to watch/listen to "The Drumming Song" too.  What new music have you discovered recently?  Leave me a comment and let me know.

No comments: