Pages

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Teatime Tuesday - Alice Goes to Broadway

Alice has been through the looking glass, visited wonderland on the silver screen, traveled through American McGee's video game adventure and went back down the rabbit hole with Tim Burton, but I don't think she's ever been to Broadway... until now.  There's not much at the official website for the musical, but here's an Associated Press article that describes the role reversals, costumes, and alternate interpretations. Looks like it will be set in a Wonderland underneath New York City and the costuming and setting will be modern, and Alice will be an adult.  I love "re-imaginings" of Wonderland and variations or new takes on the theme, but I'm not sure how I feel about all this, since I'm not really a fan of musicals. However, I love it that, all these many years later, Lewis Carroll's imagination and the world and characters he created continue to inspire artists and spur more creativity.  If this production ends up touring and coming to my town, I just might have to see it.  What do you think? Do you like Broadway musicals? Do you like "re-imaginings" of classic stories, or does it bug you when they don't stay true to the original?

No comments: