Pages

Monday, June 06, 2011

Musical Interlude - Stateless

So, I was listening to Pandora (internet radio) recently. Specifically, I was listening to my own radio station "Victoria's Vault" that I started almost exactly four years ago. I've been finessing my station for so long now, with those "like" and "dislike" buttons, that I've gotten it down to a nice blend of progressive rock, alternative rock, and some moody acoustic/indie artists and instrumental offerings. I know that sounds like a weird mix, but it really does work.

For those of you who haven't used Pandora before, their music genome project will analyze the types of sounds you like and, based on its formulas, will offer up songs it thinks will match what you like. (If you're interested in the parameters Pandora has identified for my musical tastes, just click here.  Not sure what "extensive vamping" is musically, but apparently I like it.)

When it suggests a song or band I haven't heard of before, or that I didn't "seed" my station with, I will usually think it's just okay or passible, but every now and then, Pandora will strike gold. A few weeks ago Pandora played the song "Bloodstream" by the British band Stateless and I was over-the-moon and completely hooked. I downloaded the album and I simply can't. stop. listening. to. it. Stateless is, for want of a better description,an electronic alternative rock band with hip hop, classical guitar and electronica dance influences. That makes it sound like a hot mess (and definitely not something that I would instantly be drawn to), but it really is something to be heard.

Today, gentle readers, I'm giving you a three-for-one on this Musical Interlude, because I couldn't decide which video to link to. "Down Here" is my favorite song and video, but "Bloodstream" seems to be their big hit now (thanks to being featured on the show True Blood). And, if you only watch one video, be sure to click on "Ariel" to see the trippy motion-capture special effects they used. 

Do you use Pandora? What band/artist have you discovered as a result of Pandora or another internet radio service?  Be sure to leave me a comment and let me know. I'm always on the hunt for new ear candy.





3 comments:

WriterGirl316 said...

First of all, I love Pandora. It is so useful, even for people like me who can be picky with new music.
I hope John reads this, because I think he'd really like Stateless. I listened to the first video and liked it. When I read your description of it, I thought it was going to be really strange! But you were right- and leave it to Pandora to select a band that successfully mixes all of those sounds together :-)
I love to use Pandora to grab a ton of Sinatra-era songs; it puts me in a happy place!

Laura said...

I never thought I would heat D L White call anything a hot mess.

My favorite of the three you linked was the last song, "Ariel". It was dark and brooding but in a get-up-and-dance sort of way. I like it.

I don't use pandora because i don't have a data plan on my phone. However, that will change when I get my new iPhone 4. ;)

D.L. White said...

@Jes - I use Pandora to listen to all my favorite Doo-wop music too, since I've yet to find a true "oldies" station on regular radio. We also listen to Pandora's Classical-Baroque Period Chamber Music channel and the Christian Rock channel (although it should be more aptly named Christian Praise & Worship channel. They don't play any "rock".)

@Laura - I love that fuzzy, distorted ominous bass line in "Ariel". It really draws you in and matches the lyrics. And The video is a cool interpretation of the song too.

I started using Pandora on the computer, before the iPhone purchase, although I do use it more now on my iPhone - especially in the car. But if you wanted to play around with it now, and start seeding your own station, you could. I wonder if you can stream Pandora thru the AppleTV? That's something we haven't tried yet.